[Mpi3-subsetting] MPI subsetting: charting the way forward at atelecon next week?

Supalov, Alexander alexander.supalov at [hidden]
Fri Jun 20 01:58:41 CDT 2008

Dear Dick,

A couple of suggestions re your proposal:

- If ASSERTIONS is put at the end of the MPI_INIT_ASSERTED argument
list, in C++ one can declare the last argument as having a zero default
value, and skip it if necessary. This might help with deprecation of the
earlier MPI_INIT_* calls.
- In non-Cray parts of the world, an MPI_INT followed by MPI_FLOAT is
likely to be a 4-byte int followed by a 4-byte float. This sometimes
depends on the compiler settings in effect, too.
- I don't think MPI_NO_THREAD_CONTENTION is really necessary. The
original thread level settings, in particular, the use of anything but
MPI_THREAD_MULTIPLE, seem to capture the semantics that you proposed.
- I can't fully follow the motivation for MPI_NO_ANY_SOURCE
deprioritization. AFAIK, a rendezvous exchange usually starts with a
ready-to-send packet that contains the size of the message. In this case
the receiving side will normally reply with a ready-to-receive
regardless of the buffer space available, and flag MPI_ERR_TRUNCATED on
message arrival if necessary. In this case, neither MPI_ANY_SOURCE not
MPI_NO_ANY_SOURCE seem to get into way.

Best regards.

Alexander