[Mpi3-subsetting] MPI subsetting: charting the way forward at a telecon next week?

Supalov, Alexander alexander.supalov at [hidden]
Tue Jun 3 11:29:29 CDT 2008

Hi everybody,

It looks to me that we're on subsetting crossroads at the moment. There
was a lot of good analysis so far, but I'm afraid we're slow on moving
towards comparably sized synthesis.

On one hand, we have a rather well defined and strictly aimed proposal
from Dick that might fit into MPI-2.2 framework and is somewhat related
to subsetting. We also have a wider proposal from Jeff, which also has
interesting repercussions in the client/MPI data exchange area,
potentially usable well outside of the subsetting per se.

On the other hand we have a lot of things coming into the standard in
MPI-3, and still no clear way to manage this complexity and cater for
special purpose MPI configurations that may be necessary for MPI to
expand to new areas. Moreover, the meeting in Chicago showed that not
everybody agrees that introducing flexibility or going beyond the
traditional HPC is a good idea at all.

On this backdrop, I'd suggest we should meet on the phone before the
Forum gathering in Menlo Park, and try to develop a workable proposition
how subsetting can find its way into the standard.

I happen to have time for such a meeting on the following days next
week:

Tuesday, May 10, 2008, 8:00 am PDT/11:00 am EDT/17:00 CDT    yes/no/plan
Wednesday, May 11, 2008, 8:00 am PDT/11:00 am EDT/17:00 CDT
yes/no/plan B
Thursday, May 12, 2008, 8:00 am PDT/11:00 am EDT/17:00 CDT
yes/no/plan B

Please reply as usual to me whether you can make any of these slots.

Best regards.

Alexander

PS. This time I took special care to have a subsetting slot at the F2F
meeting. :)

--
Dr Alexander Supalov
Intel GmbH

Intel GmbH
Dornacher Strasse 1
85622 Feldkirchen/Muenchen Germany
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Douglas Lusk, Peter Gleissner, Hannes Schwaderer
Registergericht: Muenchen HRB 47456 Ust.-IdNr.
VAT Registration No.: DE129385895
Citibank Frankfurt (BLZ 502 109 00) 600119052

*