[Mpi3-subsetting] agenda for subsetting kickoff telecon ww09

Supalov, Alexander alexander.supalov at [hidden]
Fri Feb 29 14:54:18 CST 2008

Hi,

Thanks. I was thinking privately about MPI_Init_subsets or so that would
use an Info object, too. I bet a comparable idea - or at least desire to
keep the number of subset related calls under strict control - was aired
at the telecon by someone, but we didn't go into much detail then.

One reservation I have about Info objects is that they are so flexible
as to be dangerous. They promoting lots of optional, loosely controlled
features that can effectively blur the interface definition. On the
other hand, I don't see any viable alternative to that, at least if the
number of subsets is going to be substantial and ever growing.

Of course, it's a little too early to fix any implementation details I'm
afraid. Anyway, let's keep this idea in mind while we're settling the
scope.

Best regards.

Alexander