[Mpi3-subsetting] agenda for subsetting kickoff telecon ww09

Richard Graham rlgraham at [hidden]
Fri Feb 29 09:32:49 CST 2008

Getting rid of the data types is not an option, in my opinion.  I would be
ok if we decided on a subset that includes something that includes basic
data types and some sort of regular patterns based on these - which I
believe represents a very large fraction of the application uses.

I am NOT advocating going away from the general support we have for data
types in MPI, just providing a way for implementers to know that under some
use case scenarios (which I think are by far the common case) simpler and
more efficient data type support can be provided.  This also allows for
implementations, if they choose to take advantage of h/w gather/scatter
capabilities.  At this stage the notion of subsetting is just that - a
notion - and I don't think that as a group we have thought through all the
implications.

Rich