[Mpi3-bwcompat] MPI_Count mixing with int...

Jeff Squyres jsquyres at [hidden]
Wed Jul 7 07:23:43 CDT 2010

On Jul 7, 2010, at 2:23 AM, Fab Tillier wrote:

> Would anyone object if we defined MPI_Size rather than MPI_Count, and used it for count, position, and size parameters?  We could then tackle the issues with MPI_Pack/Unpack/Pack_size/Type_size at the same time as counts.  We can't use MPI_Aint here since we want to be able to be backward compatible, so must provide a separate type that can be defined as a standard integer.

I agree that tackling them all at the same time is the Right Thing to do.  I also agree with all your other points.

I still am a little uncomfortable with the name "MPI_Size" because sizes and counts are theoretically different things.  But then again, I can't think of a better name offhand...

jsquyres_at_[hidden]
For corporate legal information go to: