[Mpi3-abi] ABI: for languages?

Greg Lindahl lindahl at [hidden]
Fri Sep 12 19:19:09 CDT 2008

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 07:48:24PM -0400, Jeff Squyres wrote:

> If they're not MPI apps, they don't seem relevant to this discussion, do
> they?  :-)

I mentioned this a couple of emails ago, but I'll repeat myself:
Because few people distributing MPI apps have even considered making a
binary distribution due to the lack of an ABI, it might make more
sense to look at how many non-MPI scientific apps are distributed as
binaries to get an idea of how much demand for an MPI ABI might be in
the future.

>> I know that Debian has a ton of scientific apps in it, too, including
>> some MPI apps linked only to their favorite MPI implementation.
>
> Can you get these maintainers to say that they want / will use an MPI
> ABI?

You are welcome to contantact them. I don't know them.

>> The reason all this binary distributing is going on is that end-users
>> don't want to compile things, or even rebuild srpms.
>
> So you're saying: "trust me."  :-)

No, I am not. You are free to directly contact the BioRPMs people and
Debian people to find out their motivation. I was just giving you some
clues as to where to find them.

-- greg