[Mpi3-abi] ABI: for languages?

Jeff Squyres jsquyres at [hidden]
Fri Sep 12 16:56:56 CDT 2008

On Sep 12, 2008, at 5:00 PM, Erez Haba wrote:

> Yes there is.
> We discussed one example during the MPI conference. There is a great
> benefit for tools, especially for tools that are using the PMPI
> interface.
> Many implementers ship their mpi implementation as a dynamically
> loaded binary; vendors like Microsoft, Intel HP and others. As such
> it is more difficult for tools to plugin between the application and
> the mpi implementation; it is not impossible but still more difficult.

I guess it depends on the type of tool, no?  The parallel debuggers
have gotten along fine without an ABI because they don't hook in at
the MPI API layer.  Alternate mechanisms exist for them to find out
the exact value of MPI_COMM_WORLD (for example).  Expansions of this
concept are just being introduced into MPI-3.0 for other kinds of
tools, too.

But if there are oodles of PMPI-based tools that want an ABI, I would
encourage them to publicly speak out -- just like anyone who both
wants and will actually use an ABI should publicly speak out.

> Having an API allows MPI implementers, ISV's, tools developers and
> end user to verify the application with a tool like ISP (University
> of Utha), without the special need from any of the other parties.

I think you mean ABI, right?

Cisco Systems