[Mpi3-abi] Open MPI and ABI

Erez Haba erezh at [hidden]
Fri Dec 12 10:55:37 CST 2008

I am sorry Jeff, there was no progress on my front wrt ABI.

From: mpi3-abi-bounces_at_[hidden] [mailto:mpi3-abi-bounces_at_[hidden]] On Behalf Of Jeff Brown
Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2008 9:21 AM
To: MPI 3.0 ABI working group
Cc: craig Rasmussen; ddd_at_[hidden]; Ralph Castain
Subject: Re: [Mpi3-abi] Open MPI and ABI

All,

At the last meeting I attended (Dublin) we discussed developing a prototype "morph" ABI layer with initial implementation targeting the December meeting.  Let's take stock of this effort when we meet next week.  As I recall, Ezra offered to lead the windows implementation, and Alexander linux.  This exercise is meant to expose some of the implementation details and help drive us toward a detailed standard proposal we can take to the larger group.

Ezra and Alexander, please brief us on this effort when we meet next Wednesday.

>From the Dublin meeting:
*MPI ABI standard, separate from MPI API standard, but under the umbrella of the MPI Forum
*Dynamic link is the main objective (binary compatibility)
*Startup (mpirun/mpiexec) is a secondary objective
*Include all major language bindings in the ABI standard (C, C++, Fortran) as we go
*Tied to MPI 2.1 and forward
*Implementers may choose to comply (or not)
*May be implemented as a morph layer or native
*Initial reference implementation will be a morph layer (tbd who provides)
*May be different per platform (Linux, Windows, ...)
*Different voting rules separate from MPI API forum (?)
*Need participation from major implementors in order to make progress

mpi.h: MPICH 2 (1.0.7) as base with mods as needed (e.g. max values for compile time values used in declarations)
Proceed with a reference morph layer implementation targeting (at least) MPICH 2.0, OpenMPI
Load a different module and it just works
Demonstrate with a ring program
Defer startup consideration

Proof of concept reference morph layer implementations:
*Flesh out details by writing some code
*Linux on X86-64 cluster Red Hat Linux/SUSE
*Windows on X86-64 cluster
*Test against ring program
*Bring back to the December forum meeting

ee ya next week

Jeff

*