[Mpi3-abi] For the April MPI Forum Meeting

Supalov, Alexander alexander.supalov at [hidden]
Fri Apr 25 13:53:39 CDT 2008

Hi,

I've updated Jeff's file in the Wiki: some formatting, some typos fixed (in red), etc.

Best regards.

Alexander

-----Original Message-----
From: Supalov, Alexander
Sent: Friday, April 25, 2008 8:12 PM
To: 'MPI 3.0 ABI working group'
Subject: RE: [Mpi3-abi] For the April MPI Forum Meeting

Hi,

The initial ABI proposal draft (see http://svn.mpi-forum.org/trac/mpi-forum-web/attachment/wiki/AbiWikiPage/MPI%20ABI%200.4.doc) cites Bill Gropp's paper to introduce the MPI constant hierarchy basing on when the items are/should be defined according to the standard. We can use that hierarchy to split all ABI entities into groups.

Here is the pertinent excerpt:

-	Compatible MPI data entities
        o	Compile-time values
                §	Used in declarations (MPI_MAX_ERROR_STRING, etc.)
                §	Other (MPI_ANY_SOURCE, MPI_ERR_TRUNCATE, etc.)
        o	Init-time constants (MPI_INT, etc.)
        o	Opaque objects (MPI_Comm, MPI_Datatype, etc.)
        o	Defined objects (MPI_Status)
        o	Defined pointers (MPI_BOTTOM, MPI_STATUS_NULL, etc.)

And while we're so focused on the mpi.h contents, I can't help reiterating that this is but a part of the ABI matter. The following is no less important for the whole thing to work:

-	Uniform approach to the macro implementation of certain functions (MPI_Wtime, MPI_Wtick, handle conversion calls, possibly others)
-	Similar calling convention
        o	Argument order and size
        o	Stack frame management policy
        o	Return address storage and handling