[Mpi3-abi] For the April MPI Forum Meeting

Jeff Squyres jsquyres at [hidden]
Fri Apr 25 09:04:14 CDT 2008

On Apr 25, 2008, at 8:32 AM, Supalov, Alexander wrote:

> The purpose of having as much input data as possible before deciding
> whether and how to proceed is to not miss a potentially important data
> point.
>
> In this vein, I'd love to see some MPICH1 and HP MPI data there. That,
> with the data already in the spreadsheet, would most likely cover
> 99% of
> the currently targeted platforms (IA32/Intel64/Linux/Windows).

I'm all for having enough data points.  I was questioning how many we
need -- it just looked like we we diverging into the "need dozens of
datapoints" realm.  If we're not, no problem.

> A split into several files would make sense if we had dozens of
> actively
> contributing members. At the moment we are blessed with but a few.

The wiki has no "lock" feature.  SVN does, but we don't really have a
common SVN.

This is the canonical problem with binary formats -- more power in the
binary-based tool (excel), but less collaboration ability.  I suppose
a sharepoint server would work...?  But [I'm assuming] that would be a
nightmare of licensing and access control setup.

We could use a tex-based format (latex?) that allows merge
capabilities, or use the wiki text format (but wikis don't handle
simultaneous editing nicely -- someone inevitably "loses", rather than
having the ability to merge their new text in).

Splitting into mutliple files, each with a discrete author, might
still be the best solution.  [shrug]

Cisco Systems