[Mpi3-abi] For the April MPI Forum Meeting

Supalov, Alexander alexander.supalov at [hidden]
Fri Apr 25 05:21:14 CDT 2008

Hi,

I've reviewed the current spreadsheet. Note that according to our
current observations, 64-bit Linux column covers Itanium Linux as well,
as far as the contents of the MPICH2 mpi.h is concerned. I take this as
an indication that we should not forget that ABI is more than mpi.h, and
that we should be very specific in the platform description.

Also, we might want to split Linux and Windows into different subsheets.
Indeed, splitting into 32- and 64-bit might be helpful as well, as soon
as the table becomes densely populated. I think this is something we
should discuss when we see a joint ABI emerging.

I have a process question here: how do we prevent multiple updates
running into each other, or overwriting each other accidentally? Is
there a check-in/out feature in Wiki, or should we introduce a manual
lock? Say, a file with a well known name to create before editing and
delete afterwards? The name of the creator would show who's holding the
lock. The modification date of the main file would show whether the copy
you're working with is still actual.

Best regards.

Alexander