[Mpi-forum] mpi info behavior

Joseph Schuchart schuchart at icl.utk.edu
Wed Oct 20 14:24:27 CDT 2021

I am working on the fix for Open MPI. The modular infrastructure and
lazy initialization there makes this challenging in some places. For
example, during communicator creation we don't yet know which collective
module will serve which collective operation. Assume we have a
hypothetical custom info key "ompi_scatter_blocksize" that is understood
by a subset of possible implementations of scatter that the library can
choose from at runtime. That choice might not be made until the user
actually calls MPI_Scatter. We can track which info keys are supported
by the different OMPI modules but we don't know whether the
implementation understanding this key will be chosen at the time the
user calls MPI_Comm_get_info.

The question that came up: what is the meaning of "ignored" in this
context? Is a key ignored if no part of the implementation cares about
it or is it "ignored" if some part understands it but the key may not
impact the execution of an operation in a particular instance?
Obviously, we lean towards the first because otherwise we'd be forced to
eagerly set up everything during communicator creation just to get the
info keys right... In any case, we can definitely drop unknown keys like
"foo" in Ken's example.

Thanks
Joseph