[Mpi-forum] Feb 2021 MPI Forum Meeting Plan

Martin Schulz schulzm at in.tum.de
Sun Feb 21 23:57:42 CST 2021

Hi all,

Thanks to Wesley for putting together this detailed description of the meeting this week. I hope this helps lay out what’s the plan for the quite packed meeting this week, Let me reiterate a few items, though:

If you haven’t done so, please register for the meeting (important for voting eligibility!)

We have a long list of items to go through and to be voted on and we would like to get this number down as quickly as possible, so that we get to a stable base again. As Wesley said, the plan is to start today with going through this list quickly and we would therefore ask everyone to look at the list beforehand and to avoid long discussions. This should not mean that you have to agree with everything – if there is larger concern, please raise it (no need to hold back, we want to find problems) and we’ll flag the issue and discuss it later (in the meeting if time allows or in a virtual meeting). This way we can get all non-controversial issue out of the way and reduce the total number of issues to deal with.

As for delaying MPI 4.0 – as Wesley said, everyone should vote as they/their organization sees fit, but based on the conversations in the last meetings there are issues currently that are worth being concerned about. Personally I think, delaying by one meeting to get such larger items fixed (especially where bindings are affected) is worth considering (which would still allow us to release MPI 4.0 for ISC), but we should limit this to these larger items only and not try address other items or even to add functionality.

However, having said that – should we decide to delay MPI 4.0 and if there are existing known errata items (especially non-controversial ones) that may make sense to include (without causing any further delay), please let us know.

As for the larger items that need to be discussed – I have added them to the agenda. We will go through them after our initial pass of the existing issues (as described above). From what I have seen, there are concrete proposals on the table for each and we will do a preliminary reading and discussion on those. If needed, we will have additional virtual meetings on them – it would be good, though, to get agreement on the possible solution rather sooner than later, to give chapter authors to check for potential side effects and unintended impacts.

As Wesley said, our rules do not require another page by page review of the entire document. However, we have seen extensive changes throughout the document as part of our last review and hence chapter committee chairs (along with their committees, if needed) should go through their chapters and verify that changes had no unintended impact.

With all the readings and votes on the MPI 4.0 changes, please don’t forget we’ll also have second vote on the side document containing the summary of the semantics of all operation-related MPI procedures

I hope this gives even more background on the planned procedures – if there are any open questions or suggestions, please bring them up at the beginning of the meeting!

Talk to you all in a few hours,

Member of the Board of Directors at the Leibniz Supercomputing Centre (LRZ)
Email: schulzm at in.tum.de