[Mpi-forum] Pythonization: formal reading

Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) jsquyres at cisco.com
Mon Feb 3 16:21:49 CST 2020

Thank you to all Chapter Chairs/Committees who completed reviews.  The Pythonization effort is nearly complete.

Note that this is essentially a "ticket 0" PR.  Based on the feedback from the ABQ Forum meeting and discussions afterwards, we strove to make Pythonization as much of a no-op as possible compared to the head of the mpi-forum/mpi-standard:mpi-4.x branch.  Meaning: we reversed our position on some of the "small improvements" that were presented in the ABQ meeting (e.g., we are no longer changing "rank" descriptions in the language independent bindings from "integer" to "non-negative integer").  It turns out that there were a million exceptions to these little improvements, so we decided it would be significantly safer / faster to *NOT* do them in this first round of Pythonization.

It's unclear if we need a formal reading and/or vote, or if this is completely "ticket 0".  Regardless, we're announcing this before the T-2 week deadline, just in case it requires voting/etc.

Issue: https://github.com/mpi-forum/mpi-issues/issues/158
PR:    https://github.com/mpi-forum/mpi-standard/pull/152
PDF:   attached to Feb 3, 2020 comments on the issue/PR

To reiterate: the focus of this PR is to be as much of a no-op as possible compared to the head of the mpi-4.x branch.  That being said: there definitely are "ticket 0"-quality changes (whitespace, grammar, ordering of Fortran params, etc.).  But no semantic or non-grammar-fixing text changes.

-----

It is quite possible (likely) that there will be followup errata and improvements after this PR.  In particular, the language-independent bindings came under intense discussion over the last 2 weeks.  There are definitely areas where they can be improved, but that is outside the scope of this first Pythonization effort.

jsquyres at cisco.com