[Mpi-forum] Planing for the MPI Forum Meeting in February

Rolf Rabenseifner rabenseifner at hlrs.de
Mon Feb 3 13:00:20 CST 2020

Hi all,

The Semantic Terms Working Group would like to request

 - a re-reading of issue #96 "Semantic Terms"
 - a no-no-vote for the changes since Albuquerque added for
      -- removing changes to MPI-3.1 that were never intended:
          - correct definition of local and non-local
          - not defining service/inquiry procedures as blocking/nonblocking
      -- handling special cases correctly (MPROBE/MRECV, IPROBE/PROBE)
 - a full reading if the no-no-vote fails
 - a first vote if the no-no-vote passes.

The terms chapter is missing many terms we would like to see added for MPI-4

* Issue: https://github.com/mpi-forum/mpi-issues/issues/96
* PR: https://github.com/mpi-forum/mpi-standard/pull/116
* PDF:
https://github.com/mpi-forum/mpi-issues/files/4145580/mpi-report-issue96-2020-02-02-annotated.pdf

Current status of #96:
  - Had a complete reading at Albuquerque
  - Is strongly needed to achieve consistency for
     - nonblocking collectives (in since MPI-3.0 and inconsistent to semantic terms)
     - nonblocking collectives (voted in for MPI-4.0 but inconsistent to semantic terms)
  - Major problems from Albuquerque are resolved, see above.
  - "Perfect is the enemy of good enough"
    We hope that we are now really good enough for MPI-4.0 ;-)
    And we know that we are not perfect, e.g., we opened doors for one-sided
    or partitinoed communications, but not more.

Thanks and kind regards
Rolf