[Mpi-forum] MPI_Request_free restrictions

Jim Dinan james.dinan at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 08:43:33 CDT 2020

The two cases you mentioned would have the same behavior at an application
level. However, there may be important differences in the implementation of
each operation. For example, an MPI_Put operation may be configured to not
generate a completion event, whereas an MPI_Rput would. The library may be
relying on the user to make a call on the request to process the event and
clean up resources. The implementation can take over this responsibility if
the user cancels the request, but why should we ask implementers to take on
this complexity and overhead?

My $0.02 is that MPI_Cancel is subtle and complicated, and we should be
very careful about where we allow it. I don't see the benefit to the
programming model outweighing the complexity and overhead in the MPI
runtime for the case of MPI_Rput. I also don't know that we were careful
enough in specifying the RMA memory model that a canceled request-based RMA
operation will still have well-defined behavior. My understanding is that
MPI_Cancel is required primarily for canceling receive requests to meet
MPI's quiescent shutdown requirement.

 ~Jim.