[Mpi-forum] "BigCount" rendering in PDF

Joseph Schuchart schuchart at hlrs.de
Wed Jul 31 03:31:37 CDT 2019

Jeff,

The first look at the definitions might indeed be a bit confusing, as it
is strange to see overloaded C functions (even though C11 _Generic has
been around for a while). It is also not clear when the second variant
(using MPI_Count) is available, that is only if C11 _Generic is
supported by my compiler. Even worse, a C99 compiler will happily cast
an MPI_Count argument passed by value to int without complaint or
warning by default. Should we mark in the interface the fact that the
MPI_Count overloads are only available in C11? I'm thinking about
something similar to cppreference's distinction between C/C++ standard
versions, e.g.,

```
int MPI_Send(const void *buf, int count, MPI_Datatype datatype, int
dest, int tag, MPI_Comm comm)

int MPI_Send(const void *buf, MPI_Count count, MPI_Datatype datatype,
int dest, int tag, MPI_Comm comm) [>C11|C++]

int MPI_Send_x(const void *buf, MPI_Count count, MPI_Datatype datatype,
int dest, int tag, MPI_Comm comm)
```

That way it is immediately clear that there is a catch here and users
have to be careful. OpenShmem, for example, has that distinction too
(although more explicit using paragraphs for different language flavors).

Cheers,
Joseph