[Mpi-forum] "BigCount" rendering in PDF

Jeff Hammond jeff.science at gmail.com
Fri Aug 2 00:19:14 CDT 2019

Are you saying that a C99 compiler won’t complaint if the user passes a 64b
int to a 32b int argument? That’s a pretty stupid compiler if you ask me.

I’m fine with putting MPI C11 in separate header that can #error if C11
isn’t supported. That’s a pretty obvious user experience win that costs
nothing. We are basically doing that for Fortran already.

Maclaren can just skip C11 and teach MPI in Fortran 2008 or C99 with the _x
symbols if the C11 is too scary.

In any case, we can’t design MPI around ignorant users who don’t read about
features they’re using. Doing so makes it impossible to do anything at all
because there’s always somebody too ignorant to use some feature correctly,
and the union of the ignorance covers all nontrivial changes.

Jeff

Jeff Hammond
jeff.science at gmail.com
http://jeffhammond.github.io/