[Mpi-forum] Persistent Readysend Semantics Question

William Gropp wgropp at illinois.edu
Wed Nov 7 19:06:43 CST 2018

Pavan is correct; the program is buggy.  Here’s an example

process 1       process 2
start(recv)      /* something causes a delay at process 2 */
start(rsend)
wait(all)

                       start(recv)
                      ….

In this case, the rsend on process 1 occurs before the recv is started on process 2, and the MPI program is incorrect.  Without some synchronization, either explicit or implicit (e.g., an allreduce for time step control), the use of Rsend in any form is unlikely to be correct.

Bill

William Gropp
Director and Chief Scientist, NCSA
Thomas M. Siebel Chair in Computer Science
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign