[Mpi-forum] mpi-forum.org has moved

Bland, Wesley wesley.bland at intel.com
Wed Sep 14 16:29:19 CDT 2016

It’s not really any different than how things were before. From time to time, IU would update it’s servers or have some sort of outage.

If we really want to have five 9’s, we can pay for commercial mailing list hosting, but when we were trying to decide what to do, that didn’t seem like a cost effective solution (vs. free). Having the mailing lists working the vast majority of the time is good enough.

The reason we decided to go with Argonne as the host is because they’re the institution that: 1) has the ability to easily host a medium sized group of public mailing lists, 2) has a dedicated staff who will be able to make sure the servers are up, and 3) has more than one person at the organization involved in the forum (and is likely to be around for the foreseeable future).

There potentially could be issues like you described and others, but weighing one against the other, this seemed like the best solution. If it turns out we were wrong and need to move somewhere else someday, we’re also trying harder to make sure that our data is migratable (backed up in more than one place).

On September 14, 2016 at 4:11:07 PM, Kenneth Raffenetti (raffenet at mcs.anl.gov<mailto:raffenet at mcs.anl.gov>) wrote:

Luckily email was designed before 24/7 datacenters :).