[Mpi-forum] MPI_DATATYPE_NULL when count=0

Schulz Martin schulzm at llnl.gov
Wed Jan 13 13:41:11 CST 2016

In general, I agree that allowing any argument for datatype if the count is
zero makes sense. However, such a change (even if it is just allowing more)
can cause backwards compatibility problems: e.g., any PMPI tool or other
kind of internal wrapper library can currently have the assumption that it
is only passed valid datatypes and hence can use the datatype without having
to check. We, for example, use this to implement piggybacking (by creating a
new struct datatype that contains the original one and adds a piggyback
field). If we allowed arbitrary datatypes, we would brake such codes, unless
we then also allowed it for datatype creation.

If we wanted to change this, we probably need to be very careful and make
sure we are consistent across the standard and touch all routines that take
datatype arguments. Just adding the exception for P2P, or even for all
communication routines, seems insufficient.

Martin Schulz, schulzm at llnl.gov, http://scalability.llnl.gov/
CASC @ Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Livermore, USA