[Mpi-forum] MPI_DATATYPE_NULL when count=0

William Gropp wgropp at illinois.edu
Tue Jan 12 21:51:48 CST 2016

Yes, NULL buffers are valid - they aren’t an MPI object.  There is no prohibition about passing them; only if they are used to form an invalid address (note that a datatype with absolute addresses relies on NULL as the buffer address).

Bill

William Gropp
Director, Parallel Computing Institute
Thomas M. Siebel Chair in Computer Science
Chief Scientist, NCSA
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign