[Mpi-forum] Proposed Update the MPI Forum Rules

Kathryn Mohror kathryn at llnl.gov
Wed Apr 22 11:46:02 CDT 2015

Hi all,

I like the new organization you have done. Also, the definitions you added should help new members get up to speed!

Some feedback:
2.1 #3 has awkward wording to me. I get what you are trying to say, but it's hard to parse and feels colloquial to me.
     - "Ensure a process that ensures..."
     - "... Document that is well thought through and allows..." It took me a while to realize that you were referring to "process" and not "Document" for "well though through and allows".

2.2.1 2nd paragraph: "(four weeks prior in case of votes for a final MPI Standard.." This is confusing later because there is a difference between a release candidate meeting and a final ratification meeting, and I’m not sure which you mean by "final MPI Standard" here. When I start reading the RCM rules, I am wondering why it says 2 weeks when we are discussing what I think is a (first) vote on a "final MPI standard." After reading more, I think you mean the FRM version of the Standard document, but it's not clear right away. Maybe changing it to "(four weeks prior in the case of final votes for an MPI Standard document..."?

Also, given that 2.2.4 4(f) allows for fast tracking the finalization of a new standard version, do we want to have a 4 week lead time for the RCM as well? To give more time to find any bugs/issues? It seems fast to me to allow the fast track process with only 2 weeks lead time.

2.2.4 7(d) I would make this a footnote or something. It seems out of place as part of the "rules" for the process.

Kathryn
Kathryn Mohror, kathryn at llnl.gov, http://scalability.llnl.gov/
Scalability Team @ Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Livermore, CA, USA