[Mpi-forum] Proposed Update the MPI Forum Rules

Steven Oyanagi sko at cray.com
Tue Apr 14 12:17:54 CDT 2015

Hi,

After some thought, I think the Forum should always have two votes for the
final draft of the standard.  As Martin previously pointed out, the
ratification process is important enough to warrant the two vote rule
similar to regular text changes.  Two votes would allow more members to
vote on the final draft.  As long as they don+IBk-t miss two meetings in a row
they would get to vote on some form of the final draft.  A number of
member institutions don+IBk-t go or rarely go to the international meeting so
they could potentially miss a single final ratification vote.  If I recall
correctly, the final vote for the MPI 3.0 standard was scheduled for
meeting in Europe, though for some reason that I don+IBk-t recall the final
vote occurred by e-mail.

If the Forum does decide to have a +IBw-fast path+IB0- approval process, a vote
should be required to use the fast path and it should not be at the same
meeting as the single standard ratification vote.
	- Steve