[Mpi-forum] behavior of NBC for intracommunicators when root == MPI_PROC_NULL

Jeff Hammond jeff.science at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 14:29:40 CST 2014

I would hope that the Ianything is matched with a corresponding
Test/Wait* call on every process that calls it.  To allow otherwise
seems pretty odd.

Presumably, if Ibcast is a no-op when root=MPI_PROC_NULL, then the
request can be set to MPI_REQUEST_NULL and thus completing it is
trivial.

If the standard says that completing a request known to be
MPI_REQUEST_NULL is not required, then I suppose the user can avoid
making the completion call, but I don't like that style.

Jeff