[Mpi-forum] Did we screw up the const bindings in MPI-3?

Marc-Andre Hermanns m.a.hermanns at grs-sim.de
Thu May 23 03:59:27 CDT 2013

Pavan, all,

we had a similar reports from Scalasca users on systems with MPICH3.

I didn't quite follow the constness discussion in details, but I think
modifying existing prototypes may always end up in some forward or
backward incompatibility.

We solved it for us with a preprocessor macro that is prepended to all
relevant buffer parameters. Depending on the MPI version the macro
resolves to a 'const' or not. Quite low-tech, I know. ;-)

So far that has been working well and it wasn't much work to implement,
as most of our wrappers are generated anyway. I am sure TAU will be able
to adapt to this quickly as well. Therefore, I wouldn't speak of a
complete 'screw-up'.

Personally, I am more concerned about adapting to the MPI-3 Fortran
changes, because those will probably be more disruptive than this const
issue. As far as I understood Jeff's explanations in one of the last
tools telcos, the world as we know it for intercepting Fortran has ended
and any tools vendor will have to work on their wrappers and their
internals. Implementing the 'const-fix' along the way is probably not
such a big deal then.

Cheers,
Marc-Andre

--
Marc-Andre Hermanns
German Research School for

Tel +49 241 80 99753
Fax +49 241 80 6 99753
Web www.grs-sim.de

Members: Forschungszentrum Jülich GmbH | RWTH Aachen University
Registered in the commercial register of the local court of
Düren (Amtsgericht Düren) under registration number HRB 5268
Registered office: Jülich
Executive board: Prof. Marek Behr, Ph.D | Prof. Dr. Sebastian M. Schmidt