[Mpi-forum] MPI Ain't and MPI 3.1

Jim Dinan james.dinan at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 15:40:47 CDT 2013

Hi All,

I apologize for the long-delayed follow-up from our last meeting on how to
handle the MPI Aint arithmetic ticket (tt #349).  At the last meeting, we
all agreed that this is an important fix that we would like to get out
ASAP, but we weren't sure how to do it.  I wanted to resume that discussion
on the mailing list to get broader feedback and help move the discussion
along in between meetings, if we can.

We discussed incorporating this ticket as a 3.0 erratum, and there were
concerns that this change might be too big for an erratum.  To recap,
ticket #349 adds a function, which would need to be included in the proper
places in appendices and indexes.  We would ideally also want
to reference the function from the RMA text and update RMA examples to use
the new function.

Another option that we have not yet discussed is pushing out an MPI 3.1
spec.  This would be another way of getting this change out before MPI 4.0.
 What is the general feeling on how soon we can release a 3.1 spec?  Is
this more palatable than handling this ticket as an erratum?

Thanks,
 ~Jim.

PS- https://svn.mpi-forum.org/trac/mpi-forum-web/ticket/349