[Mpi-forum] MPI Forum voting rules: new version

William Gropp wgropp at illinois.edu
Mon Feb 11 14:16:54 CST 2013

My concern here is that if meetings are less frequent that every 6-8 weeks (the original MPI schedule), this approach drags the process out long enough to create a new failure mode - too much time elapses between votes.  I don't think that you can ignore the amount of time between votes.  I don't have a good solution to this, other than to permit an alternate, non-meeting mechanism for one of these events (e.g., perhaps the first vote could be done by email if more than 4 months will elapse between the reading and the second vote).

I would argue that if a line-by-line reading is helpful, the process failed in a previous step - the one where some representative and knowledgable group read the full proposal in context.  I tend to call this the chapter committee, but it might be something else.  In any event, line-by-line readings in plenary session are rarely helpful.

Bill

William Gropp
Director, Parallel Computing Institute
Deputy Director for Research
Institute for Advanced Computing Applications and Technologies
Paul and Cynthia Saylor Professor of Computer Science
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign