[Mpi-forum] Fortran change for discussion

Jeremiah Willcock jewillco at osl.iu.edu
Tue Sep 11 06:08:29 CDT 2012

Maybe the issue is that I'm not a Fortran programmer, but the copying
language has always been confusing to me (its effect on what user-defined
datatypes need to look like is another thing I asked about before).  Am I
to understand the interface as something like this?

    For purposes of interpreting derived datatypes and other information
    in communication operations, array slices are treated as if they are
    stored contiguously in memory.  I.e., it is "as if" some kind of
    magic memory remapping occurs by the MPI implementation that maps the
    user's non-contiguous array into a contiguous one without copying the
    elements (in either direction).

-- Jeremiah Willcock