[Mpi-forum] [EXTERNAL] Wording in MPI standard

Brightwell, Ronald rbbrigh at sandia.gov
Mon Nov 26 13:18:04 CST 2012

The issue is not whether the local non-blocking operation will complete, but whether starting a local non-blocking operation is enough to satisfy the matching non-local operation. It  is essentially saying that once an operation has been started and matched, completion is local. That is, completion of a send operation that has been started and satisfied by a matching receive operation (that has also been started) is not dependent on whether that receive operation has been completed. The send side doesn't have to wait for the receive side to call MPI_WAIT in order for the send to complete.

I'm not sure there's any semantic difference between "... the receive should complete..." versus "... the receive must complete...", but the latter does seem stronger.

-Ron