[Mpi-forum] Voting results

Jeff Squyres jsquyres at cisco.com
Wed May 30 14:12:26 CDT 2012

On May 30, 2012, at 2:57 PM, Jeff Hammond wrote:

>> The fact that some votes were still recorded as 'abstain' is an indication that this bylaw change was half baked.
>
> Especially when the meeting is attended by so few people due to the
> location.  It seems like a weasel tactic to pick a remote location to
> change the by-laws with a single vote.

To be clear, the process document states:

    For the purposes of voting, a simple majority is defined as a simple
    majority of those present and eligible to vote.

In the context of the document, the phrase "simple majority" is used to describe what is needed for ballots to pass; this sentence is attempting to define that phrase.  So even though the above sentence looks like a circular definition, I think it's really an open-ended definition (e.g., a google search for "simple majority definition" turns up both definitions).

I was not there and don't know *exactly* what happened, so I'll refrain from commenting further.

jsquyres at cisco.com