[Mpi-forum] C++ types inaccessible after #281

Jeff Hammond jhammond at alcf.anl.gov
Tue Jun 26 15:11:50 CDT 2012

There is a huge difference between deprecating support for C++
_bindings_ and deprecating support for C++ _altogether_.  The ticket
is about the C++ bindings.  What Jed and I are trying to do is make
sure that the C _bindings_ allow users to work effectively within C++,
which means support std::complex<float/double/long double>.  Such
support already exists in MPI 2.2, but it requires changing "::" to
"_" so that one can use them with the C interface.

It is absolutely true that the Forum wants better C++ bindings and
will kill the original ones to make this happen.  However, you are the
first and only person who has suggested that the goal is to remove
support for C++ completely.  I believe that your statement "I thought
the point of 281 was to eradicate C++ from the standard" is completely
wrong and made with malice aforethought.  You're trying to rewrite
history to further your campaign to punish C++ programmers.

Many members of the Forum have made it clear that the goal is to
support C++ via the C bindings.  That does not mean eradicating C++
from the standard.  I assume that there will be text expressing the
Forum's believe that the C bindings are sufficient for C++, so clearly
there should be at least one mention of C++ in the standard.

As I said before, the right way to support C++ datatypes for the C
bindings is to restrict them to when a C++ compiler is used.  That
solves your issue with not having a C++ compiler.  I don't see why
you're arguing about the scenario when you don't have a C++ compiler.
Do you really have this use case as an implementer or are you just
making up silly arguments as part of your campaign of hate against
C++?

It is my understanding that your actions in regards to ticket #281 are
approved by IBM.  If this ticket is not supported by IBM, then it
would make me happy to hear this.

Jeff