[Mpi-forum] Voting in July (and beyond)

Mohamad Chaarawi chaarawi at hdfgroup.org
Thu Jun 14 13:18:52 CDT 2012

On 6/14/2012 12:55 PM, Dave Goodell wrote:
> FWIW, I do think it's unfortunate that your ticket did not pass (I believe that ANL even voted yes).  But when you say "some of them were aware the their votes means no" and then claim "it is ridiculous to count the last 4 abstains as NO votes", then I see a contradiction.  At least some of those 4 should be considered valid "effective NO" votes.  Am I misunderstanding you?

No they shouldn't be as an affective NO vote.
When an organization votes abstain on a ticket and they know that it
counts as NO, and you get back a reason that they voted so as "I did not
understand the proposal, but now after carefully considering, I will
vote yes next time", and that vote is counted as an effective NO, this
is what I consider ridiculous.

I understand the abstain category is important, but in that category
there are two sub-categories:
  1) I like the proposal, but I have concerns and would like to see more
work done (which is OK to count as no)
  2) I do not understand the proposal and do not feel qualified to make
a yes/no decision (which IMO is not OK to count as no)

Again I'm not discussing my ticket here, just pointing out the flaw in
the voting rule at the last meeting.

Mohamad