[Mpi-forum] Voting results

Martyn Foster martyn.foster at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 14:02:14 CDT 2012

On May 31, 2012 1:58 AM, "George Bosilca" <bosilca at eecs.utk.edu> wrote:
> Another valid issue raised during this meeting was about the blessing
from the user community. Interestingly enough for a standard targeted
toward a user community, such an issue was never brought forward. I think
users should be an important factor in our decisions, as important as their
contributions to the ongoing discussions. And yes the forum should grant
them a significant period of time between the moment when we vote a ticket
and the moment when this ticket gets into the standard. Our users will
clearly take advantage of such a grace period to thoughtfully evaluate the
proposal and raise any issues they might have encountered. We should have
done this from day one!

Having a passing interest in one or two issues pertaining to mpi 3, I was
rather surprised at just how opaque this group is. Theres nothing linked
from the top level web site and no draft since 2010. That leaves user
exposure to people dedicated enough to follow the lists, and delve into
trac to find out whats going on. I cant see a list of eligible voting
parties... which by definition appears to be a list in flux defined by
meeting attendance, with meetings overwhelmingly in one geography.

I would be surprised if many users are able to follow the process in a
meaningful way, possibly exempting US labs and a few other institutions
actively participating.

Martyn