[Mpi-forum] MPI-3: MPI_T_ERR_... and MPI_ERR_LASTCODE

Bronis R. de Supinski bronis at llnl.gov
Wed Jul 25 05:07:55 CDT 2012

Rolf:

Hmm. Aoparently you did not follow. I do not agree to
Martin's change to my suggested wording. I think
stating that they return error classes is confusing
and not consistent with Section 8.4. That section states:

------------------

The error codes returned by MPI are left entirely to the implementation
(with the exception of MPI_SUCCESS). This is done to allow an implementation
to provide as much information as possible in the error code (for use with
MPI_ERROR_STRING).

To make it possible for an application to interpret an error code, the
routine MPI_ERROR_CLASS converts any error code into one of a small set of
standard error codes, called error classes. Valid error classes are shown
in Table 8.1 and Table 8.2.

------------------

This passage clearly states that all MPI routines return error codes (as
is consistent with correct design). To obtain an error code, one MUST
use MPI_ERROR_CLASS. Martin's change incorrectly makes MPI_T functions
return error classes. My wording instead has them return error codes,
consistent with existing practice. My wording merely states that they
are ALSO error classes.

As stated previously, I object to Martin's incorrect simplification,
which was the cause of the confusion that generated significant
discussion on this topic. We should not codify it.

Bronis