[Mpi-forum] Compile problems with examples in MPI Standard

N.M. Maclaren nmm1 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Jul 24 11:27:35 CDT 2012

On Jul 24 2012, Dries Kimpe wrote:

>This page might explain it:
>http://www.lysator.liu.se/c/c-faq/c-2.html

It might, but it doesn't, and much of it says about this issue is
wrong.  Compare what it says in 2.2 with C11 6.5.2.1 paragraph 2.

>"Equivalence" refers to the following key definition:
>
>An lvalue [see question 2.5] of type array-of-T which appears in an
>expression decays (with three exceptions) into a pointer to its first
>element; the type of the resultant pointer is pointer-to-T.
>(The exceptions are when the array is the operand of a sizeof or &
>operator, or is a literal string initializer for a character array.)

No, that's not relevant to this issue.  That refers to C11 6.3.2.1,
but the relevant section is 6.7.6.3.

>In this case, we're passing the argument to operator &, which disables the
>automatic decay.

That would make the effects entirely different.  Sorry, but that's
irrelevant to this case.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.