[Mpi-forum] MPI-3: MPI_T_... names

Rolf Rabenseifner rabenseifner at hlrs.de
Tue Jul 24 04:08:54 CDT 2012

I started a new email-trunk, because this mail is mainly about names.

The problem with MPI_T_... names is that they are partially
very long:

Current longest MPI_T constants:

123456789012345678901234567890
MPI_T_PVAR_CLASS_HIGHWATERMARK (30)
MPI_T_PVAR_CLASS_LOWWATERMARK  (29)
MPI_T_VERBOSITY_MPIDEV_DETAIL  (29)

The system is classes of constants are named with underscores,
e.g. MPI_T_PVAR_CLASS, the end-names without underscores,
e.g. HIGHWATERMARK.

In the error codes, your right, they
- should change from
    MPI_T_ERR_INVALIDINDEX
    MPI_T_ERR_INVALIDITEM
    MPI_T_ERR_INVALIDSESSION
    MPI_T_ERR_INVALIDHANDLE
    MPI_T_ERR_INVALID_INDEX
    MPI_T_ERR_INVALID_ITEM
    123456789012345678901234567890
    MPI_T_ERR_INVALID_SESSION (25)
    MPI_T_ERR_INVALID_HANDLE
  because the class name is MPI_T_ERR_INVALID_

- and also
    MPI_T_ERR_OUTOFHANDLES
    MPI_T_ERR_OUTOFSESSIONS
    MPI_T_ERR_OUT_OF_HANDLES
    MPI_T_ERR_OUT_OF_SESSIONS
- and they may change
    MPI_T_ERR_CANNOTINIT
    MPI_T_ERR_NOTINITIALIZED
    MPI_T_ERR_MEMORY
    MPI_T_ERR_CVAR_SETNOTNOW
    MPI_T_ERR_CVAR_SETNEVER
    MPI_T_ERR_PVAR_NOWRITE
    MPI_T_ERR_PVAR_NOSTARTSTOP
    MPI_T_ERR_PVAR_NOATOMIC
    MPI_T_ERR_CANNOT_INIT
    MPI_T_ERR_NOT_INITIALIZED
    MPI_T_ERR_MEMORY
    MPI_T_ERR_CVAR_SET_NOT_NOW
    MPI_T_ERR_CVAR_SET_NEVER
    MPI_T_ERR_PVAR_NO_WRITE
    123456789012345678901234567890
    MPI_T_ERR_PVAR_NO_STARTSTOP (27)
    MPI_T_ERR_PVAR_NO_ATOMIC

All the other MPI_T_... names seem to be fine.

Bets regards
Rolf