[Mpi-forum] MPI-3: MPI_T_ERR_... and MPI_ERR_LASTCODE

Schulz, Martin schulzm at llnl.gov
Sun Jul 22 18:23:40 CDT 2012

Hi Rolf, all,

I thought we had discussed the error semantics of MPI_T in several meetings/readings and nobody objected, but I generally agree with your comments below. However, they are not really error classes (at least in the tools group we/I never thought about them this way), but just well defined return codes. Nevertheless, they fit the model and semantics of classes and hence should integrated into the same rules for consistency. I also agree with Bronis, though, that larger feedback on this would be good to avoid errors because of rushing it.

To keep changes minimal, I would suggest that we only change the following sentence, which IMHO is sufficient (and would essentially follow option b):

All return codes with the prefix MPI_T_ must be unique values and cannot overlap with any other return values returned by the MPI implementation. Further, they shall be treated as MPI error classes as defined in Chapter 8.4 and follow the same rules and restrictions.

This would also make changes in the appendix unnecessary.

As for making MPI_ERROR_CLASS and MPI_ERROR_STRING callable before Init (and then also after finalize), yes that would be very useful, but is a general issue not only related to MPI_T. If we decide this is too invasive at this point, I would like to see this at least in 3.1.

Martin