[Mpi-forum] MPI-2.2 page iv - mpi-comments at mpi-forum.org

Rolf Rabenseifner rabenseifner at hlrs.de
Thu Jul 26 03:33:08 CDT 2012

Bill and Rich,

Current MPI-2.2 whole page iv contains only one paragraph:

   Please send comments on MPI to mpi-comments at mpi-forum.org.
   Your comment will be forwarded to MPI Forum committee members
   who will attempt to respond.

Same info is provided at www.mpi-forum.org via
http://www.mpi-forum.org/comments/comments.html

   Submitting Comments about MPI Documents

   When submitting comments, please keep in mind that the MPI Forum
   only deals with issues relating to the MPI standard ...
   Comments about the MPI standard documents can be submitted
   to mpi-comments at mpi-forum.org.

Several problems:

1. The reader has no chance to see the red comment on
   http://lists.mpi-forum.org/

    "YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED IN ORDER TO POST!"

   This comment seems to be relevant because
        mpi-comments at mpi-forum.org
   seems to be an undocumented alias for
        mpi-comments at lists.mpi-forum.org .

   Looking on the mpi-comments subscribe page
   http://lists.mpi-forum.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/mpi-comments
   one cannot detect that subscription is necessary prior
   to posting to this list. The advice is only:

    "Using mpi-comments
     send email to mpi-comments at lists.mpi-forum.org."

   Did we really deleted automatically all comments we received
   in the last two years or longer?
   Rich, who knows the answer?

2. In our email posting tomorrow, we'll write:

   Please comment before Sep. 6, 2012:

   2. Then send to: mpi-comments at mpi-forum.org

   Any e-mail sent from an unsubscribed e-mail address will
   not be received.

3. This MPI-2.2 and MPI-3.0 paragraph is at the end of the history.
   It should be moved to the end of the abstract, i.e.
   from chap-frontm/history.tex
   to chap-frontm/abstract-cpy.tex

4. If it is true, and we discarded all comments we have received
   so far without reading these comments, then we should
   write a corrected advice on page ii after the abstract, e.g.,

     Please send comments on MPI to the MPI Forum:
     2. Then send to: mpi-comments at mpi-forum.org
     Your comment will be forwarded to MPI Forum committee members
     who will attempt to respond.
     Any e-mail sent from an unsubscribed e-mail address will not be received.

This should be done before the final version is built today.

Best regards
Rolf

Dr. Rolf Rabenseifner . . . . . . . . . .. email rabenseifner at hlrs.de
Nobelstr. 19, D-70550 Stuttgart, Germany . (Office: Allmandring 30)