[Mpi-forum] MPI-3: MPI_T_ERR_... and MPI_ERR_LASTCODE

Bronis R. de Supinski bronis at llnl.gov
Sun Jul 22 04:54:45 CDT 2012

Rolf:

Re:
> Dear Bronis, Martin, Dave, and Kathryn,
> (Profiling/Tools chapter responsibles)
>
> (you may forward this to the tools list - I'm not on that list)
>
> Two important questions:
>
> 1. Alexander Supalov detected that we did it wrong:
> The MPI_T_ERR_... list must be part of the total error
> list and sorted in before MPI_ERR_LASTCODE.
>
> I will change this in chap-appLang/appLang-Const.tex
>
> Please look, if there must be some additional wording on this.
> For example, the last sentence of Section 14.3.9
>
>  "All return codes with the prefix MPI_T_ must be unique values and
>   cannot overlap with any other return values returned by the MPI
>   implementation."

The above wording clearly states that the return values
should be consistent with MPI_ERR_* return values. So,
either the above wording needs to change (I do not see
why MPI_T_* return values need to be distinct from
MPI_ERR_* return values since the user should know that
they were using an MPI_T_* function) or we need to adopt
something like what you suggest.

I think we need broader opinions to make the decision.

I am concerned that wrapping up the document for MPI 3.0
has led to a fast and loose attitude about making broader
changes "in order to get it done." This attitude can
easily lead to suboptimal solutions.

Bronis