[Mpi-forum] MPI-3 svn branch does not build

William Gropp wgropp at illinois.edu
Wed Dec 5 19:44:28 CST 2012

I'll say it again: the markup approach that we used for MPI 2.1 and 2.2 was never appropriate to 3.0 and it was, in my opinion, a mistake that has cost us time and accuracy, since it often obscures the overall picture of the changes in preference for micro updates.  The issue is not so much whether we should strip out the markup, its whether we want to continue with the current failed approach (strip out the 3.0 markup, then insert 3.1 markup that will have the same problems), or return to the update-by-chapter approach that worked for 1.0 and 2.0.

Bill

William Gropp
Director, Parallel Computing Institute
Deputy Director for Research
Institute for Advanced Computing Applications and Technologies
Paul and Cynthia Saylor Professor of Computer Science
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign