[Mpi-forum] Errata handling

Rolf Rabenseifner rabenseifner at hlrs.de
Wed Dec 5 16:04:44 CST 2012

Additionally, I must say that an MPI-3.0.1 would be directly
against the final result of the discussion from last meeting.
We said that a standard must have a meaningful stability
of at least two years.
I do not want to reopen this discussion, but based on exactly
this result, our center decided to take the risk to print
the MPI-3.0 and to sell it at costs as a service for the
whole MPI community.
We had to print all books for the next two years and to pay them.
Print-on-demand has shown that it does not work with 852
pages in hardcover.

An MPI-3.0.1 would completely kill this service combined with
a significant loss.
Result: Errata should never touch the numbering of our standard.

I hope that the whole Forum supports our print service
and does not continue with this errata numbering discussion.

Best regards
Rolf

Sorry Tony,

but in the past we did errata without incrementing anything,
and it worked.
Errata change the original document because there is a bug
that must be fixed. Only this bug is fixed.
Errata never change the title page of a document,
and MPI-3.0 from Sep 21, 2012 is part of the title page
and this is not a bug, therefore not changed by errata.

If an implementor did not detect an inconsistency and
implemented something that is wrong, then it is a bug in his
software and it needs to be fixed, latest when the
errata is voted in, better when the inconsistency is
reolved by the chapter committee and published in a ticket.
The software is always MPI-3.0 compliant, but with some bugs.

Please keep it simple!

Best regards
Rolf