[Mpi-forum] Question on Cartesian Topologies

Bronis R. de Supinski bronis at llnl.gov
Mon Mar 7 09:22:09 CST 2011

Michael:

I do not agree with your inference. The values in the
dims array are not ranks so you cannot extend rank
restrictions to them

I can envision algorithms for which providing 0 for a
dimension indicates that the communicator should be empty.
It would be inefficient for the application to check
if any dimension is 0. As the MPICH-2 implementation
demonstrates, this choice can be supported. I'll
admit that your interpretation is reasonable although
I think returning MPI_COMM_NULL is better. I also
agree that an error should be returned if any of the
dims is negative.

Regardless, the issue should not be left to inference.
We need to update the standard to clarify this issue.

Bronis