[Mpi-forum] Ticket 265 - Re: Changelog question

Rolf Rabenseifner rabenseifner at hlrs.de
Mon Apr 25 06:55:36 CDT 2011

Jeff  and Fab,

I would say that the content is fine, but it would also be as
same as good when you combine and shorten some entries, to reduce
the total number to 2 entries, and I would add a simple sentence
about compatibility in the last one:

2. Sections 2.5.8, 3.2.2, 3.3 on pages 16, 29, 31,
Sections 4.1.5, 4.1.7, 4.1.8, 4.1.11, 5.9.2 on pages 97, 99, 101, 105, 172,
Section 12.3 on page 412, and Appendix A.1.1 on page 545.
New inquiry functions, MPI_TYPE_SIZE_X, MPI_TYPE_GET_EXTENT_X, MPI_TYPE_GET_TRUE_EXTENT_X,
and MPI_GET_ELEMENTS_X, return their results as an MPI_Count value, which is a new
type large enough to represent element counts in memory, file views, etc.
A new function, MPI_STATUS_SET_ELEMENTS_X, modifies the opaque part of
MPI_STATUS so that a call to MPI_GET_ELEMENTS_X returns the provided MPI_Count value.

3. Sections 3.2.5, 4.1.5, 4.1.11, 4.2 on pages 34, 97, 105, and 127.
The functions MPI_GET_COUNT, MPI_TYPE_SIZE, MPI_GET_ELEMENTS, and MPI_PACK_SIZE  are
now defined to set the count, resp. size parameter to MPI_UNDEFINED when that parameter
would overflows. In all other MPI-2.2 routines, the type and semantics of the count
arguments are kept unchanged, i.e., int or INTEGER.

-----
With this all locations are mentioned, all new functionality is mentioned,
and that's what is needed for both users and implementors.
Details can be taken from the cited sections.

I'm sorry for the late answer - first I've overseen the mail
(therefore I now added "Ticket 265" in the Subject)
- and second, I'm still on Easter break.

Best regards
Rolf