[Mpi-forum] First reading: Remove NBC C++ bindings

Jeff Squyres jsquyres at cisco.com
Thu Apr 14 14:40:53 CDT 2011

On Apr 14, 2011, at 3:19 PM, Jeff Hammond wrote:

> Someone (you?) has argued in the past that deprecation doesn't not
> mean they won't be supported, but as is clearly true from the NBC
> ticket, it means that C++ bindings won't exist for features new in
> MPI-3, which makes it impossible for a C++ person to use the MPI API
> coherently.

We're drifting off-topic here.

a) My ticket is only about fixing the Forum's inconsistency with regards to C++ bindings for MPI-3 functions.  As I previously mentioned, it's only due to a quirk of timing that NBC passed with C++ bindings.

b) The C++ bindings are already deprecated.  If someone wants to un-deprecate them, that's fine.  But that's a separate issue.  My ticket is solely about resolving the inconstancy in the Forum's current decision about the MPI-3 C++ bindings.

> The state of
> limbo you propose will just make the MPI Forum look stupid: ...

The salient missing point here is that the C++ bindings *are* deprecated.  It's a done deal.  Over a year ago.  I'm not proposing anything new here.  Indeed, there are other MPI-3 functions that have been (or are about to be) added that have no corresponding C++ bindings.

NBC is actually inconsistent with these other new MPI-3 functions.

jsquyres at cisco.com
For corporate legal information go to: