[Mpi-forum] MPIR Specification / Draft for review

Martin Schulz schulzm at llnl.gov
Wed Sep 1 18:02:58 CDT 2010

Dear MPI forum members,

As part of the activities in the MPI-3 tools working group, John
DelSignore, with
input and contributions from several WG members, has put together a
comprehensive
document describing the MPIR process acquisition interface. The draft
of this document
is attached to this email. There is also a ticket (#228) in the system
with the same
document attached to it.

This is not intended as a new standard or put up for inclusion in the
MPI standard itself,
but rather describes the state of the art for this interface how it is
currently implemented in
(almost?) all MPIs and how it is (supposed to be) used in tools.

Since we (the WG) see this document as an important document
describing this often
poorly understood interface, we would like to submit this document as
an official text
sanctioned and distributed by the MPI forum. Based on the discussion
during the last
forum meeting, such documents should go through a similar reading and
voting
process as any addition to the standard. We are therefore putting the
current draft forward
for a reading during the next MPI forum meeting in Stuttgart in two
weeks. Jeff
Squyres will lead this session.

Best regards,

Martin Schulz, schulzm at llnl.gov, http://people.llnl.gov/schulzm