[Mpi-forum] University of Sydney - Job Announcement

Abel Orellana abel.orellana at sydney.edu.au
Sun Mar 7 17:25:23 CST 2010

Hello from Sydney,

My name is Abel Orellana and I work for the University of Sydney. I sit
in our research team within the recruitment division and I am partnering
with the School of Civil Engineering in the effort to locate suitable
candidates for the appointment of a Postdoctoral Research Associate -
Computational Mechanics.

When doing some preliminary research I found this listserv and thought
it would be a great place to ask for assistance from some professionals
already in the field.

Given the focus of the role will be around research of quasi-brittle
fractures in computational mechanics using MPI, I wanted to get in
contact with members of this list to see if you were able to point me in
the right direction and possibly provide some advice on the best avenues
through which to get a communication out to individuals who may be
interested in a new challenge (and a move to the sunny shores of
Sydney!).

I am really looking for some advice on potential advertising mediums,
such as journals, forums and associations and potentially any other
listserv/mailing list which may be helpful in spreading the word...

A little more about the position:

As Postdoctoral Research Associate you will be working in a project
funded by the Australian Research Council on the study of quasi-brittle
fracture. The project aims at understanding fracture and fragmentation
processes in quasi-brittle materials, which is critical to improved
mining operations and the prediction of natural catastrophes and
structural failures.

You will contribute to the goals of the project by developing
constitutive models and computational algorithms for the analysis of
quasi-brittle fracture across the scales. The formulation of
constitutive models at continuum scale will be supported by
meso-mechanical analysis to quantify the nonlocal effects due to
microcrack interactions. The Material Point Method will be employed for
the numerical analyses of quasi-brittle fracture at both macro and meso
scales.

This project is an integrated activity of the newly established
Particles and Grains Lab within the School of Civil Engineering. To
succeed, you will have a strong background in computational mechanics
along with experiences in nonlinear numerical analysis and computer
programming. Experience in constitutive modelling, large strain finite
elements and parallel programming/computing using MPI will be viewed
favourably.

Remuneration package: $83k - $90k p.a. (which includes a base salary
$70k - $76k p.a., leave loading and 17% employer's contribution to
superannuation).

More specific information relating to the role can be found here:
Postdoctoral Research Associate
<http://usyd.nga.net.au/cp/index.cfm?event=jobs.checkJobDetailsNewApplic
ation&returnToEvent=jobs.processJobSearch&jobid=198bfabc-7673-7880-26db-
5b23c1173970&jobsListKey=a68e0fa1-c599-48a1-9c3e-fe181982d9c5&persistVar
iables=jobsListKey> .

I appreciate you assistance and I look forward to hearing from you
shortly

Kind regards,

ABEL ORELLANA | Candidate Research & Sourcing Analyst
SydneyRecruitment | Human Resources

THE UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY

Level 1, The Box Factory K06 | 1-3 Ross St | The University of Sydney |
NSW | 2006

T +61 2 8627 1237  | F +61 2 9351 5867  | M +61 431 657 180
E abel.orellana at sydney.edu.au | W http://sydney.edu.au
<http://sydney.edu.au>

This email plus any attachments to it are confidential. Any unauthorised
use is strictly prohibited. If you receive this email in error, please
delete it and any attachments.