[Mpi-forum] 2011 meetings

Martin Schulz schulzm at llnl.gov
Wed Jul 7 18:15:19 CDT 2010

On Jul 7, 2010, at 3:39 PM, Torsten Hoefler wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 09:45:12AM -0400, Rich L. Graham wrote:
>> Just doing this based on the calendar, here is how the schedule
>> would look:
>>
>>  Jan 31 - Feb 2 - Atlanta
> Why again did we want to meet in Atlanta? Most people didn't like the
> location and we don't have a sponsor for meeting rooms there. It would
> be good to move this meeting in Chicago (if the Microsoft facility is
> available).

I agree with Torsten - Atlanta is much more inconvenient than Chicago,
even from the Westcoast. Based on my experience last time, it is more
expensive to fly there and red eye/evening combinations (which work
nicely between SFO and ORD) are much harder to accomplish (in
particular when one tries to stay under $750 NSF funding).

>>  March 28 - 30 - CA
>>  May 23 - 25 - Chicago
>>  July 18 - 20 - CA
>>  Sept - In conjunction with Euro MPI
>> Nov 9 - 11 - In conjunction with SC (may want to move this to late
>> Oct)
>
> I would propose more meetings in Chicago because it seems that more
> folks are closer to Chicago (Argonne, IU, UIUC) than CA (Microsoft?,
> Cisco?).

You can add us to this list for west coast as well :)

I would propose to go back to the original scheme of alternating between
Chicago and CA. This seemed to have worked well in the past.

Martin