[Mpi-forum] MPI_Count

Kendall, Ricky A. kendallra at ornl.gov
Sun Jan 24 23:23:50 CST 2010

Memory per core is assumes that applications will always use one process per core.  This is not necessarily a good assumption for a generic application.  Node memory will be growing and in the lifetime of MPI3 there are likely to be machines with lots of memory per node definitely greater than 2GB (we have them now!).  I don't see any difference in the need for I/O having this and the communication layer having this.  Any algorithm that has a shared buffer > 2GB for I/O may want to communicate those buffers to other Nodes for some sort of computation.  I agree with Mark Snir's comments that making the interface that uses specific things from the languages used is the right idea.  I'm not an MPI implementation guy so I don't know what problems this will cause those folks, but I know that the more 'consistent" it is the better application folks will like it.  We are working with several codes that are going the hybrid MPI/OpenMP route and moving large buffer data is on the plate for a few of them.  Having to manually break it  up because the MPI interface can only address < 2GB chunks will be a bone of contention for those application folks.  The reasons for aggregating I/O on a node level are somewhat because its often a bad idea to have every process per core doing I/O (think funnel).  On modern networks this is less of an issue because many collectives in MPI implementations understand the node architecture so there is a mitigation of the funnel for some communication patterns.  Having the MPI implementation cripple algorithmic choices of application folks by limiting an operation to < 2GB seems wrong to me.  An MPI implementation can choose not to support it but should the standard have that limitation from the beginning???  I don't know.
Regards,
Ricky

Ricky A. Kendall
Group Leader, Scientific Computing
Oak Ridge Leadership Computing Facility (OLCF)
Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Phone: (865) 576-6905
Cell: (865) 356-3461
Email:  kendallra _at_ ornl.gov