[Mpi-forum] MPI_Abort - meaning

N.M. Maclaren nmm1 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Apr 6 16:48:12 CDT 2010

On Apr 6 2010, Richard Treumann wrote:

>This again brings me back to thinking perhaps the MPI standard cannot offer
>any decent semantic for a single task making a decision to terminate with
>success and the people who want this for their applications cannot have it.

I believe that the best that could be done is to specify that, if precisely
one process calls MPI_Quit and no process calls MPI_Abort, the process that
called MPI_Quit leaves through normal language termination.  I.e. local
files would be closed and similar cleanup performed, but nothing else would
be specified.

Even that would rely on the process not attempting to close down MPI cleanly
and have the close activity collapse under its feet.

Cleanup after failure is HARD.  But you know that.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.